Common Household Items That Are Toxic To Dogs

Unbeknownst to many, our precious dogs can be exposed to many everyday household items that are toxic to their health. In this blog, we’ll explore some of the most common household items that are toxic to dogs. By identifying these hidden dangers and equipping you with essential knowledge, we aim to guide you in creating a safe haven for your beloved dogs. Common signs of poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, drooling, loss of appetite, lethargy and in extreme cases, death. If you suspect your dog has been poisoned by any common household items that are toxic to dogs, promptly seek immediate care and advice from your veterinarian. 

Human Pharmaceuticals

Just as it’s important to keep medication out of reach of children, it’s equally crucial to ensure that medication is inaccessible to your dog. As a general rule, all human medications are toxic to dogs, so always store them in a secure location away from your pet. It’s important to anticipate that your furry companion may swiftly consume anything that you accidentally drop on the floor, especially if they have a habit of staying close to your feet. 

Vet Pharmaceuticals

Just like with human medication, it’s crucial to store any medication intended for animals securely and out of your dog’s reach. Even though the medication is specifically formulated for animals, there are potential risks if your dog gains access to it. They could consume medication meant for a different animal or accidentally overdose on the medication. 

Insecticides & Fertilisers

Insecticides are commonly used to manage insects and protect plants from pests, while fertilisers are employed to enhance plant growth. Both insecticides and fertilisers can be toxic to dogs if ingested. Dogs are particularly at risk of exposure to insecticides and fertilisers in various situations. For example, walking on recently treated lawns and subsequently licking their paws, or consuming grass or weeds near treated areas. Dogs may also find access to insecticide or fertiliser containers, or ingest produce that has been treated with these substances. 


The utilisation of rodenticides to capture rodents can pose significant hazards to dogs. Additionally, dogs can be harmed by secondary poisoning if they consume rodents that have been killed by rodenticides. It’s crucial to exercise caution when placing rodenticides on your property and ensure they are located in areas out of reach of your dog. 

Household Cleaners

To err on the side of caution, it’s best to assume that all cleaning products are toxic to dogs. Keep cleaning products away from your dogs access, clean spillages immediately, and keep them away when you’re using the product. Cleaning products that contain ammonia, bleach, phthalates, benzalkonium chloride, phenol, isopropyl alcohol, formaldehyde can all be harmful to dogs. These products have the potential to cause irritation upon contact. Ingestion may lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, seizures, coma, or even death. Inhalation of strong fumes from these products can also cause difficulty breathing or eye irritation. 


Batteries are incredibly toxic to dogs, particularly if they are chewed or punctured. They leak alkaline or acidic material that can burn your dog’s mouth, esophagus or stomach. If your dog swallows a battery whole it can cause obstruction or blockage in their intestines. Be mindful that batteries may be in toys and remotes that are lying around the house. 

In conclusion, it is paramount to remain vigilant and well-informed about the potential hazards posed by common household items that can be toxic to our canine companions. It’s not only crucial to be aware of the harmful effects of certain household items on dogs, it’s equally important to understand that many household plants are toxic to dogs. Additionally, being mindful of the human foods that should be kept out of reach from dogs is also incredibly important.  By staying educated and proactive, we can safeguard our dogs from potential harm. Remember, if there is any suspicion of poisoning, seeking immediate veterinary care is absolutely essential for the well-being of our beloved pets.

Similar Posts